Mother’s Day – a creative piece

As I said a couple of months back, I celebrate Mother’s Day on the first Sunday of May. Unfortunately, I don’t exactly have the means to spend the day with my mum, so I’m sending her a little art project I’ve been working on since last month.
royal_botanical_gardens_lilac_celebrationIn Hungary, the traditional Mother’s Day present is flowers. You can get her daffodils or tulips, but officially, lilacs are the one. They bloom at the end of April, ready for Mother’s Day.

Since I’m really into origami, I was hoping to make an origami lilac branch, which may or may not post well. I researched origami lilacs, but I couldn’t really find anything that fit the brief. The closest I got were lilies.

They have a similar cone-like bottom half and four petals, which is what I want. The only difference is that a lilac’s petals are rounded rather than sharp but I’m willing to look behind that.

I used paper I had at home, all different, but I’m hoping that put together, they’ll turn into something nice. Now, in hindsight, I kinda wish to have gotten special papers for two reasons.

  1. It probably looks nicer if the petals are uniform.
  2. The majority of the paper I used is very heavy, which leads me to my next point: the stem which will be the branch when combined.

I got copper wires, the ones that are “perfect for jewelleries”, and strung them through the cone of the flower. But here comes trouble! The flowers would so easily escape it, it’s ridiculous.

Origami flower lilies

So I made “pollens” with orange seed beads in the middle of the wire I cut out for the branch. Two for each petal, and to finish it off, I twisted the left-over wire, which gives it a little extra friction to keep the flowers in place.

The twisting goes on for about 2-3 cm (or 1 inch, if you prefer), depending on how large your follower is because you want the pollens to show. Then I start twisting the four wires together (two on each side) until the desired length is reached.

At this point, I string the four wires through the flower and get a larger pearl bead, put it through two wires, and start twisting until the end.

Then, you get this flower with a flimsy bottom, but not as flimsy as without the all the twisting. It’s a painful process but if you have a better (mechanical) way to do it, by all means, do it. It saves you a sore thumb.

For the assembly, I am making a large leaf to help to prop up the flowers. It also serves as a guideline when I put the flowers together.

Starting with three flowers, I start pleating the stem. Using the pearl beads as guides, I add more flowers to the pleat until I run out. Using the fold in the leaf, I tuck the now thick branch in there and secure it with a ribbon.Mother's Day

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s